Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: virtual machines

From: Patrick Goggins <pgoggins () CARROLLU EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:02:58 -0500

Users in our environment are normal users within active directory and do not have permissions to install any of the
virtual environments. The only virtual environments which can be run is parallels for the Macs. While this is always a
potential risk I would see a greater chance of this not only happening but problems occurring from it stemming from
student computers. Students in general have full admin on their computers, are more technically knowledgeable with
virtual environments, and have a large amount of time on their hands.

~Patrick

Patrick Goggins
Network Administrator
Carroll University