Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Enforcement of Security Training for Faculty/Staff

From: Steve Werby <smwerby () VCU EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:42:07 -0500

About 40% of our full-time employees use one of our enterprise financial
systems and the system owner requires all users to complete annual
security awareness training.  Failure to do so results in removal of
their access.  Some even explicitly ask that their access be revoked so
they don't have to complete it, though for that subset access apparently
isn't critical to their jobs.

Immediately prior to my current role, I was ISO at an organization in a
different industry, all 10,000 employees with AD accounts were required
to complete annual security awareness training and AD access was
disabled if they didn't complete it.  I made sure users and their unit
heads were aware of why they were required to complete it, that ample
time was given (3+ months), that unit heads let their employees know
they needed to complete it, that reminders were sent periodically, and
that unit heads had real-time access to completion reports for their
employees.  After accounts were disabled, if a unit head wanted access
re-enabled we'd require a formal request to re-enable the account for 5
days to allow the training to be completed.  On the rare occasion the
employee still didn't complete it, subsequent requests had to come from
a higher level in the organization.  And we had one unit head who told
his employees that they had to complete it by the first deadline because
he would not make any requests to have accounts re-enabled.  He always
had 100% compliance.  ;-)  Of course, this wasn't higher ed.

I've been thinking for some time about incorporating incentives into
mandatory and optional security awareness training.  A stick has its
purpose, but so does a carrot.  I suspect many of us have users who view
information security as something with little perceived personal benefit
to them.  The approach I've taken when speaking with individuals and
departments has been to educate them about the potential direct impact
to them when possible, particularly from a personal standpoint outside
of the workplace, in hopes that the message will get through and it will
impact behavior in both their personal and professional/university
lives.  I don't have ideas for carrots yet, but I'll share the best
practices document since it's an example of educational material
targeting my user base that is equally as applicable from a personal
standpoint as it is from a university standpoint.
http://infosecurity.vcu.edu/docs/information-security-best-practices.pdf

--
Steve Werby
Information Security Officer