Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Windows 7 and a Cisco 3000 series concentrator

From: Dan Schwartz <Dan.Schwartz () LEHIGH EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:06:55 -0500

Hi Andrew -

We initially had a problem with this with the built in Windows 7 VPN
but after a little debugging found that the problem we had was that the
dns servers weren't getting set properly on the client side.  We updated
our config on the Cisco 3000 and it's working fine now.  Ours are also
configured for PPTP.

I've also had success with the OpenVPN software, which is quite easy to
setup and fairly inexpensive ($5/concurrent user).

Dan Schwartz, Lehigh Univ.