Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: e-discovery software and outsourcing insights?

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 15:51:48 -0500

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:11:25 EST, Steve Werby said:

Do you have experience or insights about e-discovery platforms that
cover all phases of the process after data collection (processing,
searching, analysis, reviewing, production, etc.)?

Insight:  If you wait till after data collection, you've made your work
about 63.4 times harder than you had to.  You *really* want to sit down
and do some up-front work to make the back-end work easier.

A few years ago, we had an unfortunate incident on campus, where we literally
ended up doing the first steps of data preservation while still in lockdown.
The fact we weren't ready for it beforehand, combined with a legacy tape
system that used 40G tapes, conspired to leave us holding the bag on some
18,000 tapes. We're *still* dealing with the fall-out from that - by the time
we're done we'll have easily blown 10 man-years on it.  And that's before
we've actually handled a single e-discovery request.

Moral: You *really* want to look at your ongoing business practices, and see
where you can make things simpler for when things go bad...