Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

e-discovery software and outsourcing insights?

From: Steve Werby <smwerby () VCU EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:11:25 -0500

My team's experience with digital forensics is largely related to
security incident handling, but we've seen an uptick in requests related
to e-discovery and I expect such requests to grow significantly over at
least the next few years.  The work required to honor the requests has
been extremely time-intensive.  I'm interested in feedback about
alternatives that may reduce the burden on my team while allowing the
university to more effectively handle e-discovery requests.  Internal
legal counsel are really the owners of the process, but since there are
currently no viable alternatives in place, Information Security is
heavily involved.

Do you have experience or insights about e-discovery platforms that
cover all phases of the process after data collection (processing,
searching, analysis, reviewing, production, etc.)?

Do you have experience or insights about any third-party providers who
offer services that cover all phases of the process after data collection?

*Any* feedback is appreciated.  And though cost isn't the only thing I'm
interested in finding out about, *any* ballpark information about cost
would be helpful.

I searched my educause-security archives over the last year and didn't
see any relevant discussion.  I'd prefer replies on-list so others can
benefit from the discussion, but off-list feedback is more than
welcome.  In case it's relevant, my university has 32k students, 10k
employees and IT as it relates to data storage and device management is
split fairly evenly between central and distributed management.

--
Steve Werby
Information Security Officer