Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Batch importing into Active Directory

From: Michael Fertig <m.fertig () LSC EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:22:56 -0600

Yes.

I am not sure how this will look in your inbox with <cr><lf> , but it
works something like this:

You need a csv file (my personal info included), first line of the csv
file would be the line without the quotes (identifies field names for
csvde and starts with DN,....), second line is an import entry, starting
with "CN=Michael Fertig,....

DN,objectClass,cn,sn,title,physicalDeliveryOfficeName,telephoneNumber,gi
venName,distinguishedName,instanceType,displayName,department,proxyAddre
sses,targetAddress,mAPIRecipient,mailNickname,name,showInAddressBook,obj
ectCategory,mail

"CN=Michael Fertig,OU=StaffContacts,DC=lsc,DC=local","contact","Michael
Fertig","Fertig","Faculty",,,"Michael","CN=Michael
Fertig,OU=StaffContacts,DC=lsc,DC=local","4","Michael
Fertig","Faculty","SMTP:clabaumi () lsc edu;X400:c=US\;a=
\;p=LSCEXCHANGE\;o=Exchange\;s=Fertig\;g=Michael\;","SMTP:m.fertig@lsc.e
du","FALSE","MichaelFertig","Michael Fertig","CN=Default Global Address
List,CN=All Global Address Lists,CN=Address Lists
Container,CN=LSCEXCHANGE,CN=Microsoft
Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=lsc,DC=local;CN=All
Contacts,CN=All Address Lists,CN=Address Lists
Container,CN=LSCEXCHANGE,CN=Microsoft
Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=lsc,DC=local","CN=Person,CN=Sch
ema,CN=Configuration,DC=lsc,DC=local",m.fertig () lsc edu

Easiest way to make this work is to create a sample contact in a known
AD container and address book, export the container and use the exported
account as a template for the import account.

Include the fields you need in the header (first line) of the csv file
with your users to import.

We had staff using groupwise and students using exchange, so this was
how I put the staff into the students' exchange address book.

To dump a container:

csvde -d "ou=container_I_want_to_dump,dc=lsc,dc=local" -r
"objectClass=user" -f mydumpfile.csv -l
DN,cn,sn,title,givenName,displayName,memberOf,department,employeeID,show
InAddressBook,userPrincipalName,proxyAddresses(...list of attributes
that CSVDE knows about that I would like to have in the contact entry.)

To import from csv using csvde:

csvde -i -f my_import_file.csv

Michael Fertig

Computer Services