Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: recommendations for an SSH client?

From: John Kristoff <jtk () CYMRU COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:01:17 -0600

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:07:10 -0500
Tim Cline <tcline () EMAIL UNC EDU> wrote:

I would be interested in hearing your opinions about what SSH client
you prefer. I am particularly interested in a client that 1) is

I prefer OpenSSH primarily out of convenience as it is typically the de
facto implementation on unix systems I use.  I've been pretty happy
with it to not needing to look at anything else.  They seem to have done
a pretty nice job incorporating features and enhancing its
reliability/security.  I can also make sense of some the code when I've
had to make some minor custom patches.

cross-platform, 2) is supported by its vendor for the current
versions of Windows, Mac OS X, RHEL, and Ubuntu, 3) is free (as in
free beer), 4) has a GUI as opposed to a CLI, and 5) also offers the
ability to securely copy or transfer files. I am interested in seeing
whether this client could be linked from a local shareware site, as
well as to whether it could be included as part of a standard
software image package made available to faculty and staff. Many
thanks.

To meet all those requirements might be tough, but if ssh.com might be
a good option to consider.  They are probably going to provide you with
the most comprehensive solution, but it is probably not going to be
entirely free.  I don't know what the state of their educational
pricing is, but you can probably get a good deal.  I used to use their
freely available client for Windows when I had to way back when and I
always thought it too was a nice implementation.  I've also heard it
said that it was a more elegant (less messy) code base than OpenSSH
was, but this was a few years and might have been a bit subjective.

John