Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Opinions on malwarebytes virus cleanup software?

From: Mark Rogowski <m.rogowski () UWINNIPEG CA>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:00:26 -0600

We have acquired a few technician's licenses for use on our desktops here.  MalwareBytes is but one of a few utilities
used to clean systems.  Like AV, we notice that different packages tend to leap-frog each other - one month Product X
appears to be more effective than Product Y, and vice versa the following month.

Our desktop group examined the possibility of replacing our current AV with Malwarebytes but found the lack of any
centralized management to be operationally prohibitive (when you have 3 FTEs supporting 1700 desktops plus a multitude
of labs this becomes important).

I'm not certain, but I recall hearing that MalwareBytes needs to obtain updates from the main site - it cannot be
configured to download pattern files from a local source.  When you have 1000+ systems pulling down updates across the
'net daily that can chew up a fair bit of bandwidth...

--On Monday, February 22, 2010 2:39 PM -0600 "McCrary, Barbara"=20