Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA Business Associate/Identity Theft Prevention Agreement

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:08:05 -0500

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:44:18 CST, Steven Bourdon said:

I just received an agreement from a local hospital requesting we sign as
a "business associate" under HIPAA and "service provider" for FTC Red
Flag Rules.   Other than a nursing program with student clinical
rotations performed at local hospitals we don't deal with protected
health information on campus.

No "student health services" or clinic on campus, particularly one that might
forward people to the local hospital mentioned?  Just mentioning it because
I've seen places forget they have that bunch of 3 RNs working out of that
basement office that deal with mild flu, referrals for birth control and
other similar minor issues.