Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Lost and Found

From: Richard Hopkins <richard.hopkins () BRISTOL AC UK>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 15:32:56 +0000

--On Tuesday, February 02, 2010 5:05 PM -0500 "James C. Farr '05"
<jfarr () UTICA EDU> wrote:

Each of our institutions probably has a lost and found box where people
turn in things like flash drives.

In the past we look for identifying information so we can return the
device to the happy owner.

That is all well and good, but what if that flash drive had confidential
data on it?

We have no idea who saw that drive while it was missing.

Does anyone scan lost and found storage devices (either manually or with a
tool) to search for reportable information like Social security numbers?

If so what processes are you using?

There's also the possible issue of malware on the flash drives. We treat
them as "hazardous waste" and arrange for them to be securely disposed of
(after an appropriate time period).

Cheers,

Richard

http://www.bris.ac.uk/infosec