Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Lost and Found

From: "James C. Farr '05" <jfarr () UTICA EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:05:28 -0500

Each of our institutions probably has a lost and found box where people turn
in things like flash drives.

In the past we look for identifying information so we can return the device
to the happy owner.

That is all well and good, but what if that flash drive had confidential
data on it?

We have no idea who saw that drive while it was missing.

Does anyone scan lost and found storage devices (either manually or with a
tool) to search for reportable information like Social security numbers?

If so what processes are you using?

IITS will never ask you for your password.  Never email your password to
anyone.

James Farr

Information Security Officer

Instructional Technologist

Utica College

 <mailto:jfarr () utica edu> jfarr () utica edu

315-223-2386