Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Microsoft KB979352 & Adobe Reader

From: "Stanclift, Michael" <michael.stanclift () ROCKHURST EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:17:56 -0600

On Friday we pushed the KB979352 out of band update for Internet Explorer. Since then we've started getting reports of
browsers not allowing Adobe Reader to load PDF documents, without disabling Reader's "view in browser" ability. We've
seen and tested this issue with various configurations including:

Windows XP with Internet Explorer 7
Windows XP with Internet Explorer 8
Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 8
Windows XP with Firefox 3.5
Windows XP with Firefox 3.6
Windows 7 with Firefox 3.6
... all with both Adobe Reader 8 and/or Adobe Reader 9

In these cases, the function is disabled after the patch is installed.

As a work around, we've published a registry key to disable the view in browser function in IE. However in Firefox you
must also disable the Adobe PDF plugin inside the browser. It involved setting a DWORD called bBrowserIntegration to 0
inside HLCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\Originals - it is the same thing as clicking the option inside the Edit >
Preferences inside Adobe Reader.

I've not seen anything else on the web related to this, except for a couple of users on Twitter. Anyone else seeing
this?

Michael Stanclift | Network Analyst | Computer Services
Rockhurst University | 1100 Rockhurst Road, Kansas City, MO 64110
Phone: 816.501.4231 | Fax: 816.501.4014 | http://help.rockhurst.edu<http://help.rockhurst.edu/>

PHelp keep our campus green, think before you print!
ÏRUCS will never ask you for your password!

[cid:image001.png@01CA9DAF.93FADF50]