Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Stats re: passwords

From: "HALL, NATHANIEL D." <halln () OTC EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:52:07 -0500

From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of
Matthew Gracie
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 12:10 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Stats re: passwords

Matthew Wollenweber wrote:
Generally speaking, most brute force programs, dictionaries, and
cracking software are well suited to the rules Randy cited: "a) 8-16
characters b) upper/lower case c)at least 1 numeric d) at least 1
special character." Notably, Pa$$w0rd, Passw0rd!, and P@ssword1 are
very common examples of how most people tend to cluster "complex"
rules into easily guessable permutations. I tend use truly random
passwords from a generator or those similar in style to what Don
mentioned.

-Matt

Occasional brute force audits aren't a bad thing. If you're using LDAP
central auth, just take a dump from it and run John against it for a
weekend. You'll be amazed how many cracks you get, even with the default
dictionaries.

I do this every month or so and sent out "you've got a weak password!"
emails to everyone that gets cracked. And I'm so proud when they call me
to confirm that I really sent the message. :)

--Matt

I have done this for my organization and I must say that John on a PS3 works SO much better than a standard system.
There don't even have to be customizations.  My PS3 cracked the same passwords in less than an hour compared to 12
hours on a server.

--
Nathaniel Hall, GSEC GCFW GCIA GCIH GCFA
Network Security System Administrator

Office: (417) 447-7535