Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Smartphones

From: Matthew Giannetto <MGiannetto () MC3 EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 09:08:16 -0500

We recently addressed this same issue.  Here’s our solution.

Faculty and staff who wish to sync their personal devices with the College’s email system have to sign an agreement
stating that they will enable certain security features on their devices, and that their devices must support these
features.

·         The device will be configured to connect and be managed using only a supported version of Microsoft
ActiveSync.

·         The device will be configured to lock after, at most, five minutes of inactivity.

·         The device will be protected by a PIN or other secure password when resuming from a locked state.

·         The device will be configured to securely encrypt College data that is synchronized with the device or
support Active Sync’s remote wipe feature.
We also require the following in the agreement:

·         If the mobile device is lost, stolen, traded-in, sold, or otherwise disposed of, the user will contact the
Help Desk immediately.

·         If the mobile device is reported lost, stolen, traded-in, sold, or otherwise disposed of, IT Staff may
attempt to remotely wipe the device and reset the device back to factory default settings.

We plan to notify users who are syncing and give them a period of time to turn in the agreement.  After that period of
time, we’ll turn off access to all users, and only allow it for those who have College-managed phones, or have signed
the agreement.  New users will need to sign the agreement before gaining access.  We plan to provide some level of
training to help them get complaint as well.

In the future, we also plan to thoroughly test the Exchange ActiveSync security policies to force these configurations.

We support anything that supports ActiveSync.  We don’t provide support for Blackberries.

Thanks,

Matt Giannetto
Manager of IT Security
Montgomery County Community College