Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Smartphones

From: Steve Lewis <sgl3 () LEHIGH EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 20:30:24 -0500

Do you allow non-university phones to sync with your email? *Yes*

What security do you enforce on the phone if any; pins, encryption, …?
*Phone Lock/Password Strongly Urged*

Do you allow all types of Smartphone’s or do you limit support to
Blackberries or Windows mobile, or …? *Mainstream support available for
iPhone, Windows Mobile, and BlackBerry. Best-effort / time-as-available
support for any other devices.* *Details at http://www.lehigh.edu/act/pda*

If you support Blackberries do you run a BES server?  Any opinions on
the BES server would be appreciated. *We don't run BES as we are not an
Exhange, Domino, or GroupWise shop. It was our understanding that BES
requires one of the aforementioned systems. Someone please correct me if
I'm wrong.

*Steve Lewis
Lehigh University

We’re curious to see how other Institutions are handling Smartphone
security and support for employees/faculty.

·         Do you allow non-university phones to sync with your email?

·         What security do you enforce on the phone if any; pins,
encryption, …?

·         Do you allow all types of Smartphone’s or do you limit
support to Blackberries or Windows mobile, or …?

·         If you support Blackberries do you run a BES server?  Any
opinions on the BES server would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian Kellogg

St. Bonaventure University