Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Faculty Acceptance of Security Awareness Education?

From: Matthew Wollenweber <mjw () CYBERWART COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 12:50:24 -0500

Vladis,

We seldom sent out 100 emails, but I mean we'd get X percent shells back -
so say we sent 20 emails out we might get 8 callbacks. These were generally
targeted and customized to avoid AV signatures. Also my stats are averaged
by job. Meaning that a job with 20 emails sent counts as much as a job with
100 emails sent. I can't provide the raw data or methdology as I no longer
have it and it would contain customer and proprietary data. I can't recall
ever not getting some success at organizations with at least 1000 people.

Phishme's success rate may be higher given that they don't have a payload.
For their metrics, I believe the user only needs to click a link and be
forwareded to their educational presentations. In my case, success was a
callback. So the user had to click and the background magic had to occur.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Valdis Kletnieks