Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Faculty Acceptance of Security Awareness Education?

From: Matthew Wollenweber <mjw () CYBERWART COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 12:29:02 -0500

While I was doing pen testing, our phishing service tended to have a 40-60%
success rate for unsophisticated targeted attacks. When we were allowed to
be very sophisticated, the numbers were incredible. In most cases we had
callbacks into the network within 5 minutes. I can't recall ever not getting
in. I also can't recall security being able to entirely block us from the
network once we were in.

The most relevant paper is the one features in this Ars Article:
http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2008/09/study-confirms-users-are-idiots.ars

These papers don't have the exact metrics I might want, but they're worth
reading:
http://www.ceas.cc/2007/papers/paper-34.pdf
http://www.antiphishing.org/reports/apwg_report_h1_2009.pdf