Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IT Security in Higher Ed.

From: Anand S Malwade <Anand.Malwade () SHU EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:16:13 -0400

I would say that the risk appetite for HE is much different than corporate say Banking/finance. From my experience
Security within HE relies more on detective and reactive controls more than preventive controls due to concept of
Academic Freedom.

Also there is lack of senior management commitment and support due to the low reporting structure and chain of command
Issues. Governance and staffing is significantly different as well.

Anand