Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IT Security in Higher Ed.

From: "Plesco, Todd" <tplesco () CHAPMAN EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:51:03 -0700

My completely watered down analogies:

Government tends to be driven by politics
Corporate driven by profit
Higher Ed driven by Faculty and Regents

Government shifts based on an elected CEO and then their appointed
directors..and the availability of public funding streams or grants or
the occasional headline
Corporate shifts based on a Board appointed CEO and then their appointed
directors..and the opportunity for profit or the re-appropriation of
budget or a CIO with a fire to extinguish
Higher Ed shifts based on Faculty education strategies, grant funding
stream requirements, and the corporate/government shifts mentioned prior

Policy reference for government may be driven by compliance to
legislative mandates
Corporate policies driven by Sarbanes Oxley and other regulatory
mandates, HR, and cool looking posters or magazine articles
Higher Ed policies driven by Human Resources, Legal Affairs, Public
Safety, Registrar, Colleges, IT, and a combination of
Corporate/Government concerns.

These are mostly just samples and strictly my not-so-serious opinion. ;)

Best,
Todd A. Plesco  CISM, CBCP
Chapman University, Director of Information Security
One University Drive, Orange, CA 92866
Phone: (714) 744-7979/Fax: (714) 744-7041