Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SANS 504 Alternatives

From: "Young, Beth A." <youngba () MORE NET>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 13:40:54 -0500

Why back when, I took a Foundstone hacking course and loved it.  They have changed their courses some since I took
their "Hand on Hacking" class - it looks like they have expanded the offerings and add classes.  Their prices are
comparable to SANS so it isn't going to save you any money but they are an alternative.  If I had to compare the SANS
504 and the Foundstone ultimate hacking class - Foundstone seems to focus more on tools and will cover more tools but
with SANS, you get the incident response information at the expense of the tools information.  I learned a lot from
both classes so I don't really have a preference.

You should also keep an eye on the SANS Partnership page http://www.sans.org/partnership/  Someday, one of the
Universities might offer it at the SANS@EDU prices (about a 1/3 of the cost).  Unfortunately, the SANS@EDU program
seems to have hit a major stumbling block because not many of these are being offered anymore.

Beth