Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Sensitive Information Survey

From: Brad Judy <win-hied () BRADJUDY COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 16:45:27 -0400

I'll echo what Theresa said - one of the major risks with sensitive data is
the old files that the user has long forgotten.  I highly recommend
supplementing any sort of survey with a scanning tool (Spider, SENF,
Find_SSN, IdentityFinder, etc).  It might be very educational to do both and
note the "awareness factor" for your administration.  It might be
enlightening to see that only x% of people were aware of the sensitive data
on their computers.

I'll also echo some of my old posts and remind people to test and
familiarize themselves with any scanning tool they roll out.  Know when it
does and does not detect sensitive information.  I'd recommend a set of test
data that covers known common situations, and includes items that you know
will *not* be detected to illustrate the limits of such tools (a jpg screen
shot of data, information that is sensitive but not a pattern-match,
esoteric file formats, etc).

Brad Judy