Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Erasing/Wiping Solid State Drives

From: James Moore <jhmiso () RIT EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:24:19 -0400

This is an area where I have very little experience.  We are using
wiping utilities like Eraser (for files & directories) and Darik's Boot
and Nuke (for disks).  They do passes to overwrite data to reduce
possibilities of extracting data due to magnetic remanence.  Is there an
analog (no pun intended) for solid state drives?  Thanks.

Jim
- - - -
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM
Senior Information Security Forensic Investigator
Rochester Institute of Technology
151 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623-5603
(585) 475-5406 (office)
(585) 255-0809 (Cell - Incident Reporting & Emergencies)
(585) 475-7920 (fax)

If you consciously try to thwart opponents, you are already late.
Miyamoto Musashi, Japanese philosopher/samurai, 1645

Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing. -Warren Buffet

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including
attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in
error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this
information