Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Erasing/Wiping Solid State Drives

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:35:53 -0400

You may want to [re]consult NIST, who I'm told has updated their standard advice to require only a single-pass write of
all-zero to be sufficient for magnetic disks.
e.g. dd if=/dev/zero etc.

Not sure if that applies equally to electronic devices (thumb, SSD') which may store things internally in ways that
could enable recovery, but otherwise they too just emulate an array of blocks which could be zeroed as well.  It's not
clear to me how a 1000-block thumbdrive could retain any valid data, no matter how stored internally, if 1000 blocks
worth of replacement data were written to it.