Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Electric Co-Gen plants

From: Walter Petruska <wpetruska () USFCA EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:29:22 -0700

USF has three forms of supplemental/emergency power generation:

1.)    We own and operate a CoGen plant on our main campus- which is capable
of providing about 60% of the energy use on that campus.  We 'can' sell
energy back into the grid on low-consumption time periods.  This CoGen runs
on natural gas.

2.)    We have substantial photo-electric generation systems, each new
building has solar panels built in. (LEED)

3.)    We have one portable emergency and one stationary prime generation
system which run on Diesel.

The prime system is collocated at our new IT staff and Data Center facility,
which is now just over three years old.  This was a specific choice to
purchase and build.

Why?  Between two smaller emergency generators and our Cogen, we have 65% of
our energy needs (during non-daylight hours) powered by Natural Gas.
University of San Francisco is just a couple of miles from the San Andreas
fault.  What was learned after the 1906 and 1989 earthquakes?  Cut the
supply of Natural Gas so that broken lines don't feed the spread of fire.

If, during a real emergency when we lose utility power we also lose Natural
Gas supply, this generation capacity would be worthless.

Thus, we've got a blended operation- an ability to supply limited
electricity to most buildings in a self-contained/renewable source (solar),
as well full IT operations capacity to run through the critical first 72
hours following a critical event using either/or Natural Gas or Diesel.

It was NOT an easy fight to get a new 600Kw Genset for our facility- yet
we've not experienced a single minute of downtime to our Data Center since
we opened over 3 years ago.  Compare that to the former system (supplied by
a CoGen and a Natural Gas genset) which gave us an average of two outages
per year, averaging 3 hours each.

Recognition of the benefits of this layered system can be seen by the
decision to move the university's Emergency Operations Center into the IT
facility- so that leadership can be assured of electricity, computing and
telecommunication resources during any crises.