Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HazMat/Disposition

From: James C Farr '05 <jfarr () UTICA EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:19:00 -0400

We work closely with our Environmental Health & Conservation Department for
the same reason.  We contract with a company that picks up our pre filled
Gaylord boxes for $25. That covers anything but large screen monitors and
Televisions.  This company also has an optional paid service where they
destroy tapes, hard drives, or other media and gives a certificate of
destruction.  We use this service for things we cannot do ourselves like
destroying old media we no longer have readers for.

We wipe all media regardless of its classification.  Any time we
decommission a computer we pull the hard drive and wipe it.  Then there is
no guess work later.  If we want to donate, throw away, reuse, the equipment
is ready to go.