Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HazMat/Disposition

From: "Mclaughlin, Kevin (mclaugkl)" <mclaugkl () UCMAIL UC EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 13:12:02 -0400

Hi:

We work very closely with our Asset Management folks and we have a pretty comprehensive policy that covers equipment
disposal. To answer your specific questions:
1. Yes we have HazMat requirements and procedures that are followed for some items
2. Yes we have a data classification and Asset Management Policy that covers the disposal requirements
3. We do have an exception rule that requires two internal signatures for some items
4. A lot of our disposal is outsourced and we have multiple signatures, counts, tracking, etc. for a lot of items

Regards,
- Kevin

Kevin L. McLaughlin,  CISM, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, PMP, ITIL Master Certified
Assistant Vice President, Information Security & Special Projects
University of Cincinnati
513-556-9177