Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: The role of Information Security in BC

From: Les Mitchell <Les.Mitchell () USQ EDU AU>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 10:14:45 +1000

From: Les Mitchell <Les.Mitchell () usq edu au>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 08:51:36 +1000
To: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv <SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] The role of Information Security in BC

Stephen,

Depends on structure of your response team, and the assigned roles and accountabilities but some thoughts based on the
premise that various information systems will be required for the response team to be able to get on with their role
effectively:

 *   Information security assist provision of BCDR systems appropriately secure. Would not be nice to have temporary
systems needed for response taken offline by an attack while trying to deal with the first
 *   Oversee the secure disposal of physical and digital information of a sensitive or private nature. I.e. Disposal of
damaged hardware, paper records should be handled securely
 *   Depending on the incident, information security may be required to make temporary amendments to existing security
controls to allow response teams to work effectively. I.e. Network rules, new accounts for temporary staff
 *   Depending on the length of the incident, there may also be a role in ensuring that temporary BCDR are being
adequately backed-up
 *   There may be a need for increased monitoring of unaffected systems in the event that someone tries to take
advantage of the situation to breach secure/sensitive systems.

 If I appreciate your enquiry correctly, these are types of things that come to mind where information security may
play a role in the implementation of a BC plan.
--
Les Mitchell CISM MIIA(Aust)
Manager (Audit, Compliance & Risk) | Sustainable Business Management & Improvement