Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gmail for students and IMAP

From: Willis Marti <wmarti () TAMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:05:45 -0500

McClenon, Braden wrote:
"should be kept as private as possible" and "will not read email unless necessary in the course of their duties" don't
give me much reassurance of privacy.  Seems like that wording gives a lot of latitude...
I disagree. Our rules say much the same. As a state entity, several laws
impact our ability to provide privacy. I can't think of a state where a
public institution of higher education could promise absolute privacy.
We also have rules against sysadmins abusing their capabilities. It's
worked pretty well over the years. Anecdotally, that serves more to
protect the sysadmin from improper requests from administrators.

Cheers,
Willlis F. Marti
Director & CISO
Networking and Information Security