Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Encrypting Data to Third Parties

From: "Patria, Patricia" <PPatria () BENTLEY EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:44:31 -0400

In addition to the recent question about encrypting laptops, would anyone be willing to share their encryption
standards for sending confidential data to third parties (i.e. excel spreadsheets and word docs to vendors, partners,
etc.)? Specifically, we are trying to determine if we should use SFTP or an encryption program for encrypting sensitive
attachments and/or e-mail.

1.       Are you using SFTP? If so, do you house the SFTP site internally or is it hosted?

2.       If you do not use SFTP, which file encryption tool are you using? Is it centralized or do you require
departments to purchase it on their own?

3.       Are you using Public Key Encryption?

4.       Does the tool encrypt the e-mail, the attachment or both?

5.       Any other advise you can offer.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Patty

Patty Patria
Chief Security Administrator | Bentley University
175 Forest Street, Waltham, MA 02452 |781.891.2364