Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encrypting Data to Third Parties

From: James Cooley <jcooley () FIT EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:41:50 -0400

We've forbidden the use of email to send any sensitive data, encrypted or otherwise.  The main issues we have regarding
encrypting email is the human element involved.  A sender could 'forget' to encrypt an email with sensitive
information, and a recipient could accidentally forward an email with sensitive data in an unencrypted state.

We've had great success with transmitting and receiving data from third parties through the use of site-to-site VPN
connections, or SFTP.  The SFTP servers are centrally managed by IT, and IT works with the third party and departments
to ensure everything is setup and working correctly.  This way, we can ensure that the SFTP servers are secured and
properly updated and firewalled.  We usually set these up on virtual machine servers and they do not take a lot of
hardware resources to run.

When SFTP is used, we typically require that the data files are encrypted as well, to prevent un-encrypted sensitive
information from being left on a server with connectivity to the internet.

In general, imposing restrictions like these on departments seems to work better if IT is willing to help out with the
implementation.

--
James Cooley
Information Security Officer