Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Sonicwall NSA 4500

From: James Cooley <jcooley () FIT EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:14:35 -0400

We have deployed several different models of the NSA series devices on campus along with Cisco ASA and Checkpoint
devices depending on the required use.    Our NSA 4500s are primarily used for departmental firewalls and we really
like them.  The gateway antivirus feature in particular has been of great use for blocking malware from websites and
emails that our other solutions are not catching.

We've just deployed the NSA series devices in the past few months as replacements for our older Pro series Sonicwall
devices.  Among the Pro and  NSA devices, we have not had any reliability issues with the devices crashing or locking
up, and our oldest Pro-series device had been running for a little over two years.

The NSA 4500 devices only have one power connection.    With regards to making firewall rule modifications, they are
pretty easy with the Sonicwall using their web-based interface.

Firewall rules between PIX/ASA and the Sonicwall are a bit different.  If you had been using the command line interface
on the PIX devices, you'll probably like the Web GUI on the Sonicwall.  Between ASDM and the Sonicwall interface
though, I feel like I can make changes a lot quicker in the ASDM interface.   Browsing through the IPS and A/V rules
through the Sonicwall web interface is a bit of a pain though.

Like the newer Cisco devices, Sonicwalls can take part in OSPF routing if you use that at your university.  However,
you are out of luck if you need to do EIGRP.

One feature that really works good in our environment is the Layer-2 bridge mode.  With this mode, you can drop the
device right on the network without the need to change routing or addressing schemes.  In fact, if your PIX devices are
working ok for you, you can open up the firewall on the Sonicwall devices and just use it to inspect traffic for
AV/IPS/ and Anti-Spyware.

One thing you will likely miss though is the Cisco tech support.  Service contracts and such are much easier to manage
with the Sonicwall devices, but their phone and email support is not up to par with the quality of the Cisco engineers
you might have dealt with in the past.  In general, I'd call the tech support 'average', or what you would get with
most vendors.

--
James Cooley
Information Security Officer