Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Use of Rapier / RPier

From: Zach Jansen <zjanse20 () CALVIN EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:31:38 -0400

I haven't used RAPIER as of yet so I can't speak to it's usefulness. I have been playing around with the MIR-ROR script
here: http://mirror.codeplex.com/  It uses mostly sysinternals tools to grab information. It's actually just a batch
script, so it's not fancy but it's easy to update and modify. It's also focuses solely on malware type incidents, so if
you need something that grabs browser history or system memory, you'll be adding those components yourself.

If you have some funds available the Live Response drive from e-fense looks intriguing. I haven't used it extensively,
but from some small use it seems to be a nice packaging of tools to grab standard incident response data.

Zach
--

Zach Jansen
Information Security Officer

On 7/17/2009 at 12:04 PM, in message
<4CEC4454520FE64BB1A2A9C03B8A8EFD04684E49 () svits26 main ad rit edu>, James Moore
<jhmiso () RIT EDU> wrote:
I didn't have a chance to look at Rapier until recently.  And, as is
often the case, the opportunity to learn new tools comes from a need,
where things in my existing toolbox don't quite fit.

Is there a place it is being maintained other than
http://code.google.com/p/rapier/, or does it still work pretty well (and
on which versions of Windows).

The package on code.google.com shows that it is missing files when run.
What does that mean, from a practical view, from people who use rapier?
I am ignoring those things for now.  But I wonder if Rapier is worth
learning, or if I should look for a better live incident response tool
that gathers some initial stats. (And is there one?)

Jim

- - - -
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM
Senior Information Security Forensic Investigator
Rochester Institute of Technology
151 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623-5603
(585) 475-5406 (office)
(585) 255-0809 (Cell - Incident Reporting & Emergencies)
(585) 475-7920 (fax)

If you consciously try to thwart opponents, you are already late.
Miyamoto Musashi, Japanese philosopher/samurai, 1645

Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing. -Warren Buffet

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including
attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in
error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this
information