Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Parent Access to Deceased Students' eMail

From: David Boyer <david () BVU EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:47:48 -0500

I believe that would be our position as well. With college students typically not being minors, the parents have no
greater legal entitlement to a deceased student's email than anyone else would.

Greg Jackson <gjackson () UCHICAGO EDU> 11:41 AM 7/17/2009 >>>
Our position has been that the student's executors (or presumed executors under state law, in the more typical case
where the student died intestate) determine who can have access to email and other data.

 ( http://www.uchicago.edu )Gregory A Jackson
Vice President & CIO
The University of Chicago
+1-773-702-2828
gjackson () uchicago edu
http://gjackson.uchicago.eduSuite 628
5801 South Ellis Avenue
Chicago IL 60637

Michael Carr wrote:

How does your institution handle parental requests for access to deceased students' eMail?

Some parents would like to send notices to their son/daughter's friends about any funeral arrangements.  Others would
like access to content (especially in cases of suicide -- for closure.)

University Council position is that the deceased student's FERPA privacy rights end with death; however, questions
remain regarding the privacy rights of those persons/students identified in the deceased student's address book or
eMail contents.

Thank you,

Mike

Michael G. Carr, JD, CISSP, CIPP