Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web Security - what do you do?

From: "Rowe, Ken" <kenrowe () UILLINOIS EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 13:06:17 -0500

I agree that an application firewall is a necessary component for most Internet-facing web servers, especially if you
don't have a strong vulnerability assessment and change control program in place. But I caveat that I mean a strong app
firewall (e.g., DotDefender) that handles white listing urls, etc., not just a Cisco ASA box.
This needs to go hand-in-hand with an OWASP-based approach to securing websites.

Ken.
==
Ken Rowe
Director of Enterprise Systems Assurance and Information Security
University Office of Administrative Information Technology Services
University of Illinois
50 Gerty Drive, MC-673
Champaign, IL 61820
E kenrowe () uillinois edu