Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web Security - what do you do?

From: Karen Stopford <stopfordk () CT EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 13:00:09 -0400

I don’t think installing a Web Application Firewall is an adequate compensating control for vulnerable code.
Appropriate bounds setting, input validation, use of stored procedures, etc. should be a requirement for any in-house
or COTS application.  I understand using the firewall until the existing portfolio can be addressed and developers are
trained; however, I would be concerned about a false sense of security.  Building security in to the application’s
functionality has a much better chance of withstanding new attack vectors than a firewall that is looking at the
client, rather than the application, behavior.  Just my two cents worth.
Karen
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase. –Martin Luther King, Jr.
C. Karen Stopford, CISSP
Associate Executive Officer for I.T. Security
CT State University System
39 Woodland Street
Hartford, CT  06105
(860) 493-0116