Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Backing Up 100 Terabytes of Data

From: Adam Nave <nave () MACALESTER EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:22:01 -0500

If the data has been repeated across multiple systems over several years,
it's very likely that there is a large amount of duplication. With the right
backup system (something that supports data deduplication), you might be
able to shrink that down quite a bit.

With a situation like this, it might be useful to tell the faculty what is
feasible given their budget (maybe 10-20 TB) and then make them responsible
for choosing what data to back up. It's easy for them to say that all of it
is important, but we all know that some of it is *more* important.

--Adam