Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Backing Up 100 Terabytes of Data

From: Dallas Thornton <dallas () SDSC EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:48:41 -0700

Hi Daniel,

There is clearly a lot to consider. It's much more than shelving tapes or DVDs somewhere to do digital preservation.
I'll put in a shameless plug for a project that aims to do this. They store multiple copies of preserved data at
multiple sites across the country and provide integrity checking of the data stored. The Chronopolis Digital
Preservation Program is a collaborative initiative between SDSC, the UC San Diego Libraries, the National Center for
Atmospheric Research, and the University of Maryland Institute for Advanced Computer Studies. They offer
preservation-class storage as a service to interested researchers, and data transfer usually occurs over high-speed R&E
WAN networks.

http://chronopolis.sdsc.edu/

Hope this helps, and good luck with your storage needs.

Best regards,

Dallas

Dallas Thornton | Division Director, Cyberinfrastructure Services |  San Diego Supercomputer Center
University of California, San Diego | 9500 Gilman Drive, MC 0505,  La Jolla, CA, 92093
*: dallas () sdsc edu<mailto:dallas () sdsc edu> | *: (858) 534-8364 | 7: (858) 225-3661