Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Remote Access for Library Resources Alternatives

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:17:25 -0400

2009/6/23 Vik Solem <vik.solem () tufts edu>:

Anyone using openvpn?

Yes and it has been incredibly easy to use. Our complaints are from
Vista users because a client has been so long in the coming. Since we
don't officially support Vista, and we don't write the client, there
isn't much that can be done. The latest release *does* have Vista
support so we'll offer that client for fall term.

On the flip side, we can support Windows XP, Mac OSX, any flavour of
GNU/Linux and any BSD. Since we have a very, very vocal GNU/Linux and
*BSD crowd on campus (and our networking staff are heavy *nix users on
personal machines), it's important to have a VPN solution with support
for those platforms.

We use the same solution for our vendors and non-net-facing machines.

kmw

--
Kevin Wilcox
Network Infrastructure and Control Systems