Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: risk asessment in edu

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:50:09 -0400

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:10:24 EDT, Allison Dolan said:

While not disputing Valdis' perspective, which I think is valid,
there is also reason to look at risk assessment at least at a high
level before a policy.  Specifically, you may want to understand
what, if any laws and regulations apply re: data protection, know
whether those laws/regulation apply to your organization, and if they
do, do you have a little or a lot of that information.

I'd call that phase "gathering info for defining the policy" rather than
calling it "risk analysis".  Yes, it's an important phase of the security
policy life cycle, but it's not "risk analysis".

There's a subtle difference between "What things do we have to worry about?"
(which is the big question when developing the policy) and "Which of the
things we *are* worrying about are we likely to get burned on?" (which is the
risk analysis phase).