Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: risk asessment in edu

From: Karen Stopford <stopfordk () CT EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:18:41 -0400

In security risk assessment we always start with the risks to confidentiality, integrity and availability of assets.
The risk we are looking for is the risk of loss - mostly financial loss but also reputational loss.  Each asset may
rate differently according to these dimensions.

Student data confidentiality is one area of risk, also employee data confidentiality and possibly trustee and alumni
data as well.  There are compliance, identity theft and associated financial losses, and reputational risks here.
Other risks to look at are:

-Availability of operational systems: registration, course scheduling, bursar, etc. - these systems must be up and
running as expected in order to continue operations
-Network availability: Malicious code, DOS, uncontrolled configuration changes, etc. mean campus networks may be
unavailable or not have enough bandwidth for needs
-Integrity of information and supporting systems: Grades can be altered, financial information can be incorrect or
processing may not have the controls in place to deter and detect fraud
-Risk of loss of intellectual property
-Miscellaneous regulatory compliance risks: DMCA, GLBA, FERPA, HIPAA, Copyright Act (commercial software as well as
other works) etc.

There are many more but if you start with the ones most likely to cause substantial losses, you will probably find
yourself quite busy for a long, long time.

C. Karen Stopford, CISSP
Associate Executive Officer for I.T. Security
CT State University System
39 Woodland Street
Hartford, CT  06105
(860) 493-0116