Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student workers & shared drive restrictions

From: "Spransy, Derek" <DSPRANS () EMORY EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 19:50:30 -0400

Agreed, and indeed, I would sometimes trust students to make better security decisions than staff :-)  However, they
are not permanent employees of the University and in practice often receive little training from the departments that
hire them.  The question of access really belongs more in the hands of the data custodians than it does with the
security staff.  In our case the department makes the access decisions and students don't usually get access to
particularly sensitive information (mostly because the data that they would have access to includes academic and
disciplinary information about other students), and those job responsibilities rest mostly with the staff.  In the case
in question, if the risk of students abusing their access is considered to be high, then it may be best to put those
responsibilities elsewhere.