Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Student workers & shared drive restrictions

From: "Bazeley, Joseph E." <bazeleje () MUOHIO EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:13:04 -0400

We're migrating to Active Directory, and I'm looking to use this as an opportunity to remove generic student worker
accounts.  Previously, each office would have their own shared student worker account (i.e., Bursar_Student_Worker),
which all student workers in that area would use to login with.  I want to have each student login with their regular
AD credentials, but when and only when they are using computers in that department will they have access to the
department's shared drive.  If they login from a non-department computer, they are unable to access that share.

Anyone have a way to configure accounts in AD so that the following happens?

User 1 (student worker) logs in to Computer A (dept computer) and gets access to drive Q: (dept share)
User 1 logs in to Computer B (non-dept computer) and is unable to access drive Q: (including if they try to manually
map the drive)

Joe Bazeley
Information Security Officer
Miami University