Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student workers & shared drive restrictions

From: Charles Buchholtz <chip+educause () SEAS UPENN EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 20:16:03 -0400

On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 07:26:44PM -0400, Bob Kalal wrote:
Folks seem to forget that "students" are adult citizens.

Yes, and I'm a strong proponent of trusting student workers with real
responsibility.

But, students often have a personal interest in the data that they are
handling.  If I was having an embarrassing medical procedure, I
wouldn't want to use the clinic where my sister-in-law handled the
charts.  Similarly, if I were a student I might prefer that my
classmate not handle my student records or email.

We often hire students from a neighboring university, partially
because they are less likely to be interested in our students' private
affairs.

--- Chip

Charles H. Buchholtz                    Director of Systems Programming
chip () seas upenn edu            School of Engineering and Applied Science
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~chip           University of Pennsylvania