Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Adware/Spyware on Mac/OS X

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () CERIAS PURDUE EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 12:48:32 -0400

ClamAV is free and seem to work well, and there is a window interface
to it.   If and when there are viruses and spyware on the Mac, it
would work well.

A preventative mechanism  (I would suggest Tripwire, considering I
developed the first version :-) is a way to catch anything as yet
unknown.

Several of the commercial vendors (Symantec, McAfee, etc) have Mac
products, but with no real viruses or spyware in the wild, it would
seem imprudent to spend the money on them.