Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ISP for Residence Halls

From: Pete Hickey <pete () SHADOWS UOTTAWA CA>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 08:50:36 -0400

We did that a number of years ago.  The residence management like outsourcing
everything.  They were looking for cable TV for each room.  The company
added on Internet access as an option, and they took it.  Any problems
are not 'ours'.

I should note that the vast majority of our campus is NOT in the
residences.  The residences are favored for first year students,
so there are very few 'repeats'.  The year of the switch, they
didn't realize the things they were missing.

They have plain normal residential internet access.  They have
no local community.  They used to have game-fests which went
great on a fast local network.  They used to do disk sharing
offering various things locally.  They also used to have direct
access to the library resources.  There were also a department
here and there (generally science and eng) with their own internally
accessible servers.