Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ISP for Residence Halls

From: "Moore, Frank" <moorefx () LONGWOOD EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 08:22:45 -0400

Anna,

I am at a public university in VA (4500 total enrollment with about 3,000 in campus managed housing). We have 3
"villages" off campus. Two are former apartment complexes that went into bankruptcy and were bought by our real estate
foundation. The third is new development with 3 floors of apartments and the first floor being retail. These three
complexes were out sourced to an ISP in the area. There is the equivalent of T-1 service per every 100 students. The
start up three years ago had some bumps but the service has since been great and the students love it. I do too because
we get no "abuse () longwood edu" notices from the RIAA. It went so well that we issued an RFP last year to outsource
the on campus residence halls (there are 9) and the price was so good that the students have migrated from our DS-3 to
an OC-3 of their own. It has been a win-win for all. The only services that we ever offered students were all web-based
(Live@edu mail and hosted web services) so there have been no ramifications.

I hope this helps!

Thanks ,

Frank

F. X. Moore III, Ph.D.
Vice President and CIO
Longwood University
201 High Street
Farmville, VA 23909

[voice] 434.395.2034
[fax]   434.395.2035

moorefx () longwood edu
http://www.longwood.edu

IITS will never ask for your password in an email.
Don't ever email your password to anyone!