Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PGP WDE

From: Todd Clementz <clementz.7 () OSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:03:45 -0500

We deployed 70ish in our department with the keys being managed by the upper
level IT on campus.  For the most part, it's pretty straightforward as far
as install.  The one time I needed a recovery key it was taken care of right
way with minimal downtime to the end user.  The area I was frustrated with
were specifically related to reboot which stuck on a greyscreen after a
nightly reboot, until the user came in the next time.  Sometimes this might
be a week or longer the machine doesn't respond to ping or install any
additional updates.  Also the area of password changing was a challenge.
There were times that the user might change their Windows password and it
not replicate to PGP which might require to use their previous password one
time the next reboot.  This just created confusion.  Other than that, it did
the job we needed it to.

Todd Clementz
Systems Engineer
Knowlton School of Architecture
The Ohio State University
614.292.8544

"Integrity is shown when no one is looking."