Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Packet shaping / bandwidth enforcement

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 17:00:56 -0500

Michael J. Wheeler wrote:
I would also be interested if anyone can comment on how well your
devices can detect encrypted bit-torrent and other protocols. We
currently have a NetEnforcer, but we feel it's doing a pretty poor job
at detecting encrypted traffic.

The Procera also appears to be pretty good at identifying encrypted P2P applications. I
don't see much "mysterious" unidentifiable traffic on the wire, but the expected amount of
encrypted BitTorrent and the like, listed separately from the unencrypted versions, too.

--
Celebrating the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth,
and the 150th anniversary of the publication of the Origin of Species.

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. " - Thomas Watson (1874-1956),
Chairman of IBM, 1943