Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Packet shaping / bandwidth enforcement

From: Michael Cole <mcole () CLARKU EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:45:12 -0500

We got off of our packet shaper 4500 about 3 years ago and moved to an ellacoya e30 switch and service logic engine.
It's primary market is provisioning offers to broadband providers to homes.  It's very easy to use, has great reporting
features off a back end oracle database.  The e30 has gigabite uplinks.  They are now part of arbor networks.
(www.arbornetworks.com).  Their support has been excellent.  They have been good about updating signatures and it's
fairly easy to upgrade the switch and service logic engine.  I'd used a couple of differetn models of the packetshaper
for about 6 years as our internet connection grew before moving to the ellacoya e30 and I still think it was a good
move for us.

Mike

Michael A. Cole
Manager of Network Operations