Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Attachment Blocking

From: "Jason C. Belford" <jason.belford () OIT GATECH EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:20:47 -0500

Steve,

We have a base list of extensions we considered "possibly
harmful" (see below).  Each department chooses what action they want
applied with these attachments (rename or drop).   In addition, any
department can add additional extensions to the list.  The default,
which is used for our students and any group that had not specified
otherwise, is to rename the attachment.  However, these actions are
only applied to *external* (any message that touched an off-campus
address) messages.

ade adp bas bat chm cla ass cmd com cpl crt eml ail exe hlp hta inf
ins js jse lnk msc msi mst ocx pcd pif reg scr sct shb shs url vb vbs
vbe wsf wsh wsc exe lnk pif

--Jason